Thursday, March 1, 2012

Philosophy: The Art of the Socratic Dialogue

by Bridget (Class of 2012)

This semester I have the opportunity of taking a Philosophy course through the Upper School history department. I have never taken a philosophy course before, and at the beginning of this semester, I was not sure what to expect! As a student who tends to favor science and math classes, I am excited because I have found this discussion-based course interesting, and I have developed and been exposed to new perspectives on life.

Our first unit of study allowed us to explore ancient Greek philosophy, and we were introduced to many of the central questions that have helped guide philosophers throughout the ages. We studied the philosophies of Aristotle, Socrates, and Plato as we developed our own insight to answer central questions such as: what does it mean to live a good life, how do we determine what is beautiful, what is the goal of education, is democracy an effective form of government, and how should women be viewed by society? While everyone in the class had their own ideas, we found ourselves intently discussing these issues in order to arrive at universal truths that could be supported with evidence and examples.

Our first assignment was to become familiar with the Socratic dialogues (Plato wrote more than two dozen dialogues in which he presents his arguments in the form of a discussion). Eventually we wrote our own dialogues in which we developed answers to questions about hate. My Socratic dialogue addressed whether different degrees of hatred exist and whether humans have the ability to control their hate. Through this experience, I learned how to develop my own philosophy and ultimately arrive at a conclusion to questions that are broad and open to many different interpretations. 

We are just beginning to study the philosophies of Confucius, and our next assignment will explore the concept of jen or humanity. I am looking forward to the rest of the semester, and I hope to continue to use philosophy to learn more about the world, myself, and my peers! 

Bridget