Tuesday, May 1, 2012

College Decisions

Sarah (Class of 2012)


After submitting my first application on November 1st, I completed my college application process yesterday when I committed to Davidson College, a small, liberal arts college in North Carolina.  The time-consuming process started for me when I visited my first colleges the summer before my junior year.  Almost two years later, I could not be happier.  My classmates, whom at the beginning of this year could not predict where they would be in a year, have now all committed to colleges and universities around the world!  One of my best friends, Robin, is going to spend a gap year in Kazan, Russia, attending university there before returning to Ohio State's Honors Program to study international relations.


I will be entering college as the quintessential undecided student.  Right now my interests range from international relations to foreign languages to journalism to neuroscience.  My options are completely wide open.


I have gone to CSG for the past 10 years of my life and tomorrow is my last day.  Senior year, while jumbled up with college applications, play rehearsals, after-school runs, clubs meetings, papers, tests, projects, and the longest wait of my life (January to April can seem like a very long time), truly flew by.  I spent the last three weeks in five different states, visiting my top three college choices (Vermont, North Carolina, Pennsylvania), winning top honors in a choir competition with CSG's vocal ensemble, The Grace Notes (see picture below), and finishing my courses for the year.


The Grace Notes before performing in Chicago's Orchestra Hall


My favorite part of this time in the college process is the college map.  The college counselors Ms. Shipps and Ms. Schultz put up a map of all the college in the U.S. where each senior puts a small tack and connects her name to her college.  I just love looking at the board and seeing where all of my friends will be next year.  Our class is the closest it's been all year and I am sad to leave.  


At the same time, I cannot wait to begin my Senior May Program (a mandatory 3 1/2 week project) with Pistacia Vera, a local patisserie, on Monday!  My friends' May Programs are taking them all around Columbus and the world.  They are studying  ayurvedic medicine in India, shadowing local surgeons, interning with organizations such as the Columbus Foundation, Cheryl's (of Cheryl's Cookies), and Ballet Met, and studying architecture in Rome and Paris.  Once we all complete our projects, we come back to school the week before graduation and present them to the Upper School.  I cannot wait to try something completely new that I may never have the chance to do again in my life.  Just one more beginning in this, the season of endings and beginnings.