Sunday, May 13, 2012

May Program: Interning at Cheryl's Cookies


Bridget - Class of 2012

This was the first week of Senior May program! For those of you who are not familiar with the program, it allows seniors to have an internship or design a project for the last three weeks of school. For my May Program, I am interning at the Cheryl’s Cookies headquarters in Westerville, Ohio. Students are responsible for arranging and planning their own program with help from one faculty advisor. I set up my May Program when Cheryl Krueger came to speak to our school’s Student Ambassadors’ Society in the fall.

Each student has an on-site sponsor who is their supervisor during the program. My on-site Sponsor is the director of merchandising at Cheryl’s, but she also happens to be a CSG alum who did her Senior May Program at Cheryl’s before she graduated from CSG. Every day I spend seven hours at the headquarters, and this first week, I spent most of my time in the merchandising department.

While in the merchandising department, I have attended meetings where I learned about planning email and store promotions. I also learned about how prices are set in order to ensure profitable margins. Another meeting I attended included both the merchandising and production departments. During this meeting I learned that 14 truckloads of butter will be delivered to the production kitchen this week. That’s a lot of butter! One day I helped set up a store display that was photographed and sent to each of the store managers so that the displays look similar at every store location. On Friday, I ventured out of the headquarters and spent time with the district general store manager. I was able to go to the McCorkle, Easton, and Worthington Mall stores. While I was at the stores I helped fill orders, greet customers, and bag purchases. At the Easton store, I even passed out free cookie samples! Easton is the company’s flag-ship store, and it sees a significant increase in sales during the holidays. The typical shelf-life of a cookie is between 3-5 days in stores, but many of the cookies are made up to 6 months ahead of time and frozen before they are delivered to stores.

This week I also got to sit in on a meeting with the company’s photographer. The merchandising department walked through their preliminary ideas for all of the photos in the 2012 holiday magazine. The merchandising department typically starts working on the design and marketing strategy for products one year ahead of time. Right now, the department is planning Valentine’s day for next year, and is already brainstorming for other spring holidays.

Tomorrow I will be helping out at a photo shoot for the Halloween and Thanksgiving magazine. I will be at the photo shoot for the next three  days, and at the end of the week, I will be going to the location where all of the cookies are sent to be packaged and shipped anywhere in the country. Stay posted to hear about the rest of my May Program!