Sunday, February 26, 2012

Independent Study


by Ellie (Class of 2014)

CSG provides broad educational opportunities. In addition to the typical core classes we can pick up independent studies in subjects we're interested in. This semester my history teacher offered the girls in my history class the option of taking an independent study class for credit. In this independent study, my classmates and I read current event articles and then discuss the themes and some of the tough issues within the articles. There are eight girls in this group. We all read the articles before our class meets (once every six school days). Our teacher starts the discussion and we branch out from there. For example, this week we read an article last week about the political parties in the United States and how Republicans and Democrats today are more concerned about opposing each other and being enemies rather than addressing the issues. Our discussion was very interesting because not only did we discuss the article itself but our ideas grew beyond what was written on the page. I'm really interested in politics and journalism so I love reading these articles and debating them with my classmates!